Wherigo

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

There is one wherigo cache on dartmoor. I’ve got a basic gps a magellan xplorist gc and an iPhone. I’ve got the wherigo app. Can I do a wherigo cache just using my iPhone? How do I get the cartridge onto the app? Thanks in advance.

Keymaster

I have to admit I’ve no idea what a wherigo cache is as I’ve only ever used my old PDA for geocaching. Perhaps who ever answers this topic could kindly add a brief description of what it is for the likes of me 😳 !

Participant

I think I’ve downloaded the wherigo cartridge to the wherigo app on my phone. I’ve added some screen shots from my phone. Can someone explain how a wherigo works. Will the cartridge tell me where to go? What’s with the sausages and other items. Has anyone done this wherigo near hound tor?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

A Wherigo is a slightly different way of caching that allows, sometimes with a bit of imagination, to walk a route as part of a story or with questions along the way. We have done a couple now and once the Wherigo app has been downloaded (we have used both a smart phone and an iPad) it is quite easy to download the relevant cartridge and away you go. For the Houndtor whereto you will need to go to the first waypoint and once you are within a few feet you will be given an imaginary task, which is fulfilled by getting within a few feet of each waypoint. Eventually the ‘story’ ends at the final cache location where you will find a traditional cache to log. We have also done one just outside Launceston where we had to answer questions along the way. We have certainly had great fun doing them.

Keymaster

Do you need a phone signal to do these, or is everything downloaded before you start?

Participant

So at the end is there a container? I get the impression that you are as intrigued as I am Dave. I think you need to give it a go! I would but my leg is still in plaster! I’m looking forward to trying this as soon as I’m back on my feet.

Participant

Thanks dartmoor strider for the explanation.

Tamerton Chocolates
    Participant

I’ve tried the whereigo app but couldn’t be bothered with it. I found it really user unfriendly. You need a signal to load the cartridge, but after that you don’t.

I tried the houndtor one, once you are nearish the start coordinates the app will tell you what to do next. I kept losing the instructions without a way to go back a step in the program to re-read them.

Waste of time.

Participant

That’s interesting Tamerton Chocolates. Doesn’t seem that is the case for everyone however. It has 17 favourite points.

Just for the record, there is a second type of cartridge which has been designed for use on the ANDROID MARKET by a Czech Cacher which is FREE to download in the marketplace. It’s called ”WhereYouGo”. There is a pretty comprehensive Groundspeak Forum running on Wherigo’s which answers a lot of Finderman’s questions (apparently, turning off Wi-Fi capability on your phone is imperative as the cartridge needs to operate from the pre-programmed co-ords on your GPSr)
    Or you could try shooting Ky Devas an email……………
    I know she put a lot of hard work into getting her cartridge over at Hound Tor up, running and through the necessary Groundspeak protocols – I’m sure she’d be more than happy to answer any querries ❓ …. 💡 ……. 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.