Welcome to the 5th Annual Dartmoor Geocoin Race.
As voted by the participants, this year’s race starts this coming Saturday 17th February and I kept the same finish date as last year, 30th November. But you don’t have to place your geocoin on that date, just any date following. If you want to participate but haven’t yet got a race coin, it is definitely not too late, details below.
I’ve always tried to avoid too many rules but the following few are necessary. I’ve changed Rule 2 slightly and highlighted it in red. Please do take note:
- Coins MUST start the race with zero mileage – if any mileage has already been recorded before 17th February, please delete those logs.
- Please DO NOT give coins to anybody to take somewhere. All coins MUST be released into a cache to be picked up by a person unknown, NOT somebody known to you or organised by you. Please do NOT start your coin off in an event.
- Only original Dartmoor 2018 coins can be used – NO nasty proxies please!
- If you bought (or buy) a second coin from me at a cheaper rate it MUST be entered in the race. There always seems to be a couple of coins each year that never get started which is not fair on others who paid the normal price for their coins.
- I am only going to count the number of miles travelled.
Some useful hints and tips:
- Physically label your geocoin to say that it is in a race and needs to be moved as far as possible.
- Give as much information about the race on the geocoin description page as possible and include a photo, use the one above if you wish.
- Don’t let cachers keep dipping your coin unless they are going long distances – coins need to be placed in a cache so that they can be moved on.
- If a cacher hasn’t placed your coin within a few days email them and ask them to do so. Don’t let them forget they have it!
- Watch any cache your coin is placed in and ensure that the next visitor logs it as retrieved. If they don’t ask them if the coin was in the cache.
- You can get a really good start by placing your geocoin in a travel bug hotel. However, these could be more at risk than a normal cache. You also may want to avoid a cache & dash or place it in a PM only cache. However, after it has been retrieved you will have no control.
The geocoin will remain your property and you can set whatever goals you would like on the geocoin page. I would ask you NOT to remove the geocoin’s name but to add to it, e.g. it comes named as Dartmoor National Park 2018 Geocoin, so you could add Sue’s ….. to the front of it. That way everybody can still search for it and I can produce some race details.
If you haven’t got a race coin yet it is definitely NOT too late. Some late entries have done very well and won prizes.
The following have entered the race – please let me know immediately if you are not on the list.
If you have not already done so, please activate your geocoin and let me know its TB number.
|Name||Cacher Name||TB No||Miles||Last Location||Status|
|Mel Read||Moira Crackers||TB8R861||10,749||Derby||Visiting|
|John Higgins||higster||TB8R85P||9,276||Perth, Western Australia||Visiting|
|Isaac Ogden||heartradio||TB8R873||4,163||Georgia, USA||Retrieved from event|
|Roy Harvey||ChudleighTraveller||TB8R84G||1,362||Sachsen, Germany||Visiting|
|Janet Kneller||Weather-IT||TB8R87A||937||Östergötland, Sweden||In cache|
|Andy Lawrie||Amberel||TB8R840||667||Worthing, Sussex||Visiting|
|Andrew Stokes||stokes2342||TB8R88D||342||Sheffield||In cache|
|Colin Cooke||The Cooke Family||TB8R88W||303||Wincanton, Somerset||In cache|
|Teresa Phillips||Taz9213||TB8R88B||222||Bideford, Devon||Activated|
|Cathy Pengilly||Pinguigloo||TB8R85C||107||Yeovil, Somerset||Visiting|
|Janine Hesp||justmejay||TB8R87E||48||Okehampton||In cache|
|Carol Norrish||Dylan1966||TB8R847||18||Cullompton, Devon||In cache|
|Liam Cooke||navyspootter||TB8R88X||0||Plymouth||In cache|
|Christine Hutchins||chutch74||TB8R876||0||With Owner||Activated|
|Jayne Rowse||Jaynie15||TB8R841||0||With Owner||Activated|
|Joe Bird||miss130||TB8R87C||0||With Owner||Activated|
|Justine Tear||The Old Grey Mare||TB8R872||0||With Owner||Activated|
|Neil Armstrong||Finder-Man||TB8R84E||0||With Owner||Activated|
|Suzy Ayshford||Jazz_a||TB8R88T||0||With Owner||Activated|
|Jason Dean||dixie_gooner||0||With Owner||Not Activated|
|Warren Batrick||Bogbunny||0||With Owner||Not Activated|
|Lisa Canning||Angelaobscura||0||With Owner||Not Known|
|Louise Auty||Balrogslayers Mum||0||With Owner||Not Known|