Due to popular demand, I’ve organised another race for 2015 and it’s about to get under way with 27 entries. As last year, I don’t want a complicated set of rules and hope that everybody will play fair. However, a couple of changes from last year:
- I’m going to ignore the number of times a coin is PLACED in a cache. Last year some coins were placed in a cache and retrieved by the same cacher. This makes no sense at all and is clearly just a VISIT. It was also very time consuming to count the number of times a coin was placed.
- Please do not give coins to friends to take somewhere. All coins must be released into a cache to be picked up by anybody, not somebody known to you.
This year I will award 2016 Dartmoor Geocoins for the coins with the top 3 mileages. However, if we can get 30 confirmed entries I will increase that to the top 4!
Some things to consider which were learnt last year:
- You can get a really good start by placing your geocoin in a travel bug hotel. However, these could be more at risk than a normal cache. You also may want to avoid a cache & dash or place it in a PM only cache. However, after it has been retrieved you will have no control.
- Take time to explain on the trackable page all about the race that it is in. Also include a photo of the geocoin (you can use my one if you wish). Also attach something to the coin itself explaining exactly what is expected of the finder. We have so many new cachers and many will not know what they should do when they find it.
- Constantly track your coin and ensure that it is immediately logged when it is retrieved. Send emails to chase this up if it doesn’t happen quickly. Don’t let cachers forget they have it!
The geocoin will remain your property and you can set whatever goals you would like on the geocoin page. I would ask you NOT to remove the geocoin’s name but to add to it, e.g. it comes named as Dartmoor National Park 2015 Geocoin, so you could add Sue’s ….. to the front of it. That way everybody can still search for it and I can produce some race details.
Please also note that the original coin must be used. Copies and proxies, etc. cannot be used in the race.
The race will start this coming weekend and will run until 31st October 2015 which is the end of the busy period for caching. After this things slow down considerably and we will not see much movement.
Please check the list of entries. Please let me know which coin you are entering in the race if you have more than one and please let me know your caching name if I haven’t included it.