Welcome to the 7th Annual Dartmoor Geocoin Race.
This year’s race starts this coming Saturday 14th March and will finish on 30th November. There is no panic to release your geocoin on Saturday, but soon after would be very good. However, PLEASE DO activate your geocoin as soon as possible AND let me know its tracking number. If you want to participate but haven’t yet got a race coin, it is definitely not too late, details below.
I decided not to have any further discussion on the rules, but I need to say that the last 2 or 3 races have been very difficult to administer, resulting in mileage being deducted and geocoins being disqualified! The most important aspect of the rules is that the geocoins are moved on at all times by cachers NOT known to you and NOT organised by you. Please ensure that anybody who moved your geocoin last year does not have any participation this year.
- Coins only start the race once they have been released into a cache to be picked up by a person unknown, NOT by somebody known to you or organised by you.
- You ARE allowed to give your coin to somebody else to release it for you, in which case they MUST grab it from you first. This allows it to be STARTED from a different place in the UK or from a different country. However, once again coins MUST be released into a cache to be picked up by a person unknown.
- No mileage will be counted by the owner visiting with their coins or by somebody else releasing the coin. Any prior mileage MUST be deleted by deleting those logs.
- Coins must NOT be started off in an event.
- Only original Dartmoor 2020 coins can be used – NO nasty proxies please!
- If you bought (or buy) a second coin from me at a cheaper rate it MUST be entered in the race. There always seems to be a couple of coins each year that never get started which is not fair on others who paid the normal price for their coins.
- I am only going to count the number of miles travelled.
Some useful hints and tips:
- My research shows that the majority of geocoins stolen are stolen in the UK. This is the reason why I am happy for you or somebody else to release it in a different country. But the mileage getting there MUST be deleted.
- Physically label your geocoin to say that it is in a race and needs to be moved as far as possible.
- Give as much information about the race on the geocoin description page as possible and include a photo, use the one above if you wish.
- Don’t let cachers keep dipping your coin unless they are going long distances – coins need to be placed in a cache so that they can be moved on.
- If a cacher hasn’t placed your coin within a few days email them and ask them to do so. Don’t let them forget they have it!
- Watch any cache your coin is placed in and ensure that the next visitor logs it as retrieved. If they don’t ask them if the coin was in the cache.
- You can get a really good start by releasing your geocoin in a travel bug hotel. However, these could be more at risk than a normal cache. You also may want to avoid a cache & dash or release it in a PM only cache. However, after it has been retrieved you will have no control.
The geocoin will remain your property and you can set whatever goals you would like on the geocoin page. I would ask you NOT to remove the geocoin’s name but to add to it, e.g. it comes named as Dartmoor National Park 2020 Geocoin, so you could add Sue’s ….. to the front of it. That way everybody can still search for it and I can produce some race details.
If you haven’t got a race coin yet it is definitely NOT too late. Some late entries have done very well and won prizes.
The following have entered the race – please let me know immediately if you are not on the list.
If you have not already done so, please activate your geocoin and let me know its tracking number.
|Name||Cacher Name||TB No||Miles||Last Location||Status|
|Dan Vincent||BigKid05||TB9H8XY||0||Bodmin||In cache|
|Emily Howard||EmilyMilner||TB9H8Y1||0||Bovey Tracy||In cache|
|Joanna Lee||homeleejo||TB9H8WC||0||South Brent||In cache|
|Suzy Ayshford||jazz_a||TB9H8YP||0||Exeter||In cache|
|Andrew Stokes||stokes2342||TB9H8NY||0||With Owner||Activated|
|Anne Hamilton||Heavenlymx||TB9H8NR||0||With Owner||Activated|
|Belinda McSherry||T&BMcSherry||TB9H8P0||0||With Owner||Activated|
|Carol Norrish||Dylan1966||TB9H8ZT||0||With Owner||Activated|
|Janet Kneller||Weather-IT||TB9H906||0||With Owner||Activated|
|John Stack||Golden Haystack||TB9H8VF||0||With Owner||Activated|
|Sue Nickels||Tobytwirl||TB9H8X8||0||With Owner||Activated|
|Cathy Pengilly||Pinguigloo||Awaiting Notification||0||With Owner||Activated?|
|Christine Hutchins||chutch74||Awaiting Notification||0||With Owner||Activated?|
|Colin Masters||Clan Masters||Awaiting Notification||0||With Owner||Activated?|
|Derek Courtney||El Del||Awaiting Notification||0||With Owner||Activated?|
|Isaac Ogden||heartradio||Awaiting Notification||0||With Owner||Activated?|
|Janine Hesp||justmejay||Awaiting Notification||0||With Owner||Activated?|
|Jayne Guppy||Jaynie15||Awaiting Notification||0||With Owner||Activated?|
|Jude Groves||Kerfuffles||Awaiting Notification||0||With Owner||Activated?|
|Justine Tear||The Old Grey Mare||Awaiting Notification||0||With Owner||Activated?|
|Kevin Bastow||dartmoor striders||Awaiting Notification||0||With Owner||Activated?|
|Murray Kohn||MuzzaDazzler||Awaiting Notification||0||With Owner||Activated?|
|Neil Armstrong||Finder-Man||Awaiting Notification||0||With Owner||Activated?|