What is Your Criteria to Log a Find?

Welcome to Dartmoor Geocaching Forums General Geocaching Topics What is Your Criteria to Log a Find?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

I’ve just seen a “Found” log where the finder found the cache but couldn’t sign the log because they couldn’t work out how to get at it! Surely this has to be a DNF. I am still the only DNF on JoC17 because although I could see the cache I didn’t fancy signing it (I hope all those Finds signed it?) Two people have tried to log finds on my caches where the cache has obviously gone missing and they have taken a replacement cache and signed that!!!! If a cache has gone missing, IMHO, it has to be logged as a DNF, just getting to GZ is just not good enough. Anyway, that’s my rant over – what are your views?

Participant

Hard call.

If they’ve found and got the cache, that’s a find imo, even if they don’t sign the log (no pencil, wet, missing) – even if the rules say you should sign the log.

Just being at GZ is definitely not a find though – especially as GPS is not 100%, your GZ may not be the intended GZ.

Blocked

It is also NOT a find if the intention is for you to climb a tree, cross a river or puzzle how to open the container. Seeing the cache is not good enough in these circumstances.
    I agree that if the log is too wet or the nano has seized up and is impossible to open then it’s valid to claim a find. No pencil is more questionable – although usually accepted – as all cachers should carry a writing implement!
    Cache owners are sometimes very grateful if a missing cache is replaced by someone looking and not finding – provided it really is missing. I think it has to be a cache with a very clear description of where it is meant to be so that there can be no mistake that it is really missing and that the replacement is in the correct place!

Ockment Bells
    Participant

So far I have been lucky and have managed to find/open each cache I’ve found. I’ve never logged a find where I could not sign the log (unless full or very, very wet). I have read that in the USA cachers on power walks sometimes do not sign the logs but only count it was a find if they can touch the cache. Although Groundspeak frown upon it it seems up to the CO whether to allow this or not.

Blocked

No wonder they manage to “Find” thousands in a day!

Keymaster

Completely off-topic I know (but it is my topic!), the power trails in The States are normally done by a team who drive along the highway where the caches are placed exactly 0.1 miles apart. In some cases they pick up the cache and log it whilst driving to the next cache, and drop that cache where the next one was, etc. So they end up moving them all along one! Nobody had better try this with Walk on the Wild Side or all their finds will be deleted 🙂 Back on topic, my original post concerned a cache that was definitely in Miss’s “puzzle to open” category. It’s still shown as a find which I think surprising.

muddypuddles
    Participant

If you find a cache and can’t get at the physical log due to poor maintenance on the CO’s part then personally I would claim it as a find myself. Replacing a lost container I would also count, but only if it is actually confirmed missing, as in by a previous visitor or a completely unambiguous spoiler. If in doubt I will sometimes take a photo to confirm with the CO. I must admit that I never check physical logs when I maintain my own caches, as to be honest, life’s too short.

No1Mugster
    Participant

I’d have to at least find the cache and have a legit reason for not signing the log for me to log it as found. Just getting to the GZ is not enough for me.

Participant

First time I have really come across this but people seem to be logging either the burnt out remains of a container or a nearby Munzee as a ‘Found’ on http://coord.info/GC2AHNJ. I normally try to stay well clear of geocaching politics, but I felt compelled to comment on it in my log. For me it is signing the log book that qualifies anybody to log the cache. Similar thing at 19 of the series.
    Only good thing is finding out about Munzee. Might have to check it out as it looks quite interesting. 🙂

• This reply was modified 11 years, 10 months ago by Avatar photoSabartimesine.
    Blocked

Do munzees have containers?

Tamerton Chocolates
    Participant

I logged a few caches as a find and not signed the log. Several times the log is just paper mache and I didn’t have any spare paper. Twice I couldn’t open one of them nano containers as it was just screwed too tight. And 2 weeks ago up on new waste I decided not to open a box as the rain was so bad – I would have never been able to keep the paper dry. If the relevant CO’s have a problem with that I am quite happy to remove the logs.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.