Remote Dartmoor

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Wow – that will keep me busy this week :)!

Congratulations to PR on what looks a really great series, what a shame that none of them were allowed on the ranges!

From a selfish point of view, really pleased to see this published as winter approaches rather than in the height of the summer – very challenging.

muddypuddles
    Participant

This series looks like something you can really get your teeth into, and I’m really looking forward to getting on with it.

My headlight broke a couple of months ago, so it looks like I’ll be off to buy a new one, as I suspect I’ll have to do a lot of them in the dark!

Brentorboxer
    Participant

I got my first one early this morning, no prizes for guessing which one!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Congratulations to Dartmoor Dave for being the first to complete the series and in such a short period of time. The way that series was set out has meant that Dave has had to cover many more miles than I did when placing the series. My thanks also to Dave for the detailed and often humorous found logs which I have really enjoyed reading.

Keymaster

Many thanks to Steve (Plymbridge Runner) for the unexpected and very generous FTF prize I received this morning. I really did appreciate it, but the joy of completing this excellent and well constructed series was the best reward you could have and of course is still available to all those who follow. So if you haven’t participated already, then I cannot recommend this series highly enough 🙂

Tamerton Chocolates
    Participant

Well done Dave. And 29 walks … I am lucky to find the time for one (a decent several hour one) every 2 or 3 months!

muddypuddles
    Participant

Congratulations to Dave for his achievement, I hope you haven’t worn your boots out. I remain a fair way behind you but hope to complete this series soon. Having said that I have the small matter of some inconveniently placed TBs to tackle first…

Keymaster

Inconvenient? I left one in one of your caches and another one very close to where you will need to go 😉

muddypuddles
    Participant

I don’t begrudge the extra walks at all, and how I chuckled to myself when a TB appeared on Nakers Hill scant days after I’d just been there myself. Brilliant! And then another one appeared in Rattlebrook Head, just after I’d been there too! How did it know? Was there a conspiracy afoot? This time I could hardly contain my mirth. And then as if that wasn’t enough, what about Trig Points? This could only be the work of a true genius, I thought, as I fair split my sides in glee!

Tamerton Chocolates
    Participant

Blacklane brook in the dark .. that is some feat. I couldn’t even find it in daylight.

wanderingwillies
    Participant

As the second team to finish this series, thought perhaps I should post a comment.

Everyone who completes the Dartmoor Remote trail will have their own reasons for doing it, and their own experiences, but suffice to say too much , would give away the ups & downs, suprises and whatever else happens on your travels.

Our experience was of a personal achievement for both of us. We have been avid walkers for many years, but unfortunately a disease with no cure looked like Derek would not walk very much again. However, there was a drug too keep the disease under control and the walking has improved greatly in the last two years, so for him the challenge was getting to places which 2 years ago would have been unobtainable, although the areas with clitter do present a problem, and a hands and knees job the same problem (so please if you see a peson unable to get up at any time lend a hand dont leave him!). That meant the distance caches were down to me. To walk with no 4 legged or 2 legged companion has not presented a problem, but still sometimes daunting. We were letterboxers in a past life and very familiar with Dartmoor, although our walking on the moor in the past 10 years has been very little. You do not forget though, and it did bring back many happy memories of remote places visited, which is the one thing letterboxing did do, and pre any GPS to show you the way. It also reminded us of Colin Rolfes “Deep Mid Winter Walks” always North Moor and Remote ie, Cut Hill.
    As to the caches, Steve we cannot say enough that we know how much hard work you put into this, it is appreciated and a big thankyou. As far as we were concerned everything was findable, a couple possibly a bit sneaky and one that caused my coat to get thoroughly dirty, “remember I have long arms” kept ringing in my mind. The Final was the climax, especially as there was no check sum when we attempted it, so with a slight bit of intrepidation, “is it” isn’t it” right the trip was started and the nearer I got the more I felt sure it was right. What a finish.
    Is there Life After, yes, but a rest beckons for a few days, two rather tired OAPs. Whens the sequel? In the meantime back to “Parishes” – they have been a bit neglected and also take a bit of thinking about.

Keymaster

I don’t know how many others received over 100 emails today re this series, but I know I did!

I can understand the CO wishing to regenerate some interest in this series but I think his announcement that he will archive it in 2015 is counter-productive. Major series such as this need a huge amount of time to complete. I walked 134 miles and drove nearly 600 miles to complete this series – and I live on Dartmoor!

The Alphabet Challenge series has been in place for nearly 7 years and has been completed 30 times, The Heart of Dartmoor series has been in place for nearly 5 years and has been completed only 7 times, and the Dartmoor Forest series has also been completed 7 times in just over 2 years. For most cachers these series have to be a long term project taking several years to complete. After all, many live a long way away and can only visit Dartmoor 2 or 3 times a year.

If a cacher thinks he can take as long as it needs to complete a series, he will gradually chip away at it. If he thinks he is on a time limit, he may well not bother to attempt it at all. Surely 200 cachers taking an interest and finding several of the caches is better than a hand full of cachers finding them all?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok,

It seems that I have offended DD by my intention to archive this series after the summer of 2015. I have no idea how he has received over 100 emails today, I obviously received the same emails and have received just 53. I would suggest that he doesn’t watch every single cache in this series, why do you need to Dave.

I will be unable to maintain this series after the summer of 2015 and that is why I will be archiving this series. Do I need to go into details about the reasons for this to you Dave, absolutely not? My post today on the bonus page, was to give those who wish to complete the series a heads up that it will not be there for ever. This series will be in place and maintained for the next 17 months.

I am very sorry for anyone who will be unable to complete the series in that time frame, but I will of course remove the caches in such a way that anyone who is close to completing the series will be able to.

As for you Dave, I have no interest in what you think. I would suggest to you that you concentrate on your coins; lovely as they are I cannot understand why you got a mint run of 250. Better to get just 100. As you know I have been watching your eBay account and you haven’t had much luck with selling them. £3 postage, what is all that about, a simple search will tell you that postage from the USA costs less than £3.

Keymaster

I wasn’t offended until I saw this very personal attack on me. How did I deserve that? I have written nothing but praise for the Remote series. I awarded it many favourites and constantly wrote glowing reports in my logs, but there is clearly no pleasing some folk 😥 !

As for watching my eBay account, it appears I have a stalker 😕 !

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have you anything to say about the £3 postage costs.

Participant

I’m confused. What does the coin have to do with archiving a series? Seems quite harsh. Have you thought about putting the series up for adoption rather than archiving?
    £3 postage seems fair to me. Padded Envelope £0.70-£1.00; Postage £1.50 then petrol to drive to the post office.
    People will only buy or bid on ebay if they want to buy the item. If they don’t agree with the cost they don’t have to buy.
    We all know that on ebay if it says free postage that they just list the item for a higher price in the first place.

Tamerton Chocolates
    Participant

What’s this Dave, censorship on your site 😈

Brentorboxer
    Participant

I was enjoying that thread! 😆

Keymaster

Not of my choice I can assure you. As you are all aware I have always actively encouraged robust discussion on this web site and will continue to do so and I have no problem at all with people disagreeing with me. But that requires goodwill on all sides. When that it lost and logical discussion is no longer possible then there seems no point in continuing. I was instructed to remove certain posts and have done so. Hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as possible, but please do continue to air your views whatever they are.

Participant

My post looks just weird now. I don’t mind if you delete mine too Dave. :mrgreen:

Participant

Don’t let it upset you mate. You sell your coins for whatever you want it’s your choice.

Keymaster

I left your post there for two reasons, one you raised the question of the series being put up for adoption. I would think that would be an ideal solution to retain this series which I have always praised and described as excellent.

The second, is that you gave a brilliant defence of my £3 p&p charge on eBay. However, nobody needs to buy the coins on eBay, I have always offered them on this web site for £12. What you didn’t mention was the 10% eBay selling charge, the listing charge and PayPal’s cut as well, when you get paid. The total is about £2 per coin, which is the extra I charge on eBay. Not that I ever had any intention of selling them there, but I was surprised at how much geocaching stuff is available on eBay, often at much lower charges than in the on-line shops.

Participant

Fair enough. Carry on Caching! Have fun.

Keymaster

That would be good 😛 !

Dave Johnson
    Participant

It was disappointing to hear that there is only such a short time (by my standards) to complete this excellent challenge. As I don’t have the luxury of having Dartmoor on my doorstep I can only manage a monthly visit and you can imagine how daunting this challenge seems now. Its taken me almost two years to nearly complete the DF perambulation series (and I still have 3 to go). So on one hand its a good push to get folk moving and aiming to complete but on the other and in my case it almost makes me feel that the series will be unachievable 😳 , especially collecting travel tags etc. Its a great series and I have enjoyed it so far– apart from yesterday when I failed on Great Mis!!!

Keymaster

I have now been asked to restore the posts I had deleted earlier and I have now done this, so there is once again a full record of the exchanges which occurred.

So, TC, no censorship here!

Participant

The whole series archived!?? Why?? What a shame.

muddypuddles
    Participant

When I heard the series might be arcived, I wrote to the CO and offered to adopt them, as I think it’s the best Dartmoor series I’ve done. Sadly, I had no reply, and this morning the whole lot’s gone. Such a shame.

Participant

*cough* Drama Llama *cough*

I’ve read everything on here, the Facebook thread, the logs that came through this morning as each cache was deleted, I have seen PR’s amended profile where he asks people to delete his found logs as he’s given up caching and… “Huh?”

I don’t get it. On the face of this it seems like a spiteful over-reaction and withdrawal of “my toys” that removes a series that people were enjoying completing and clearly took a lot of the CO’s effort to lay and maintain. It does not make sense to me, but clearly PR takes this so perceived insult so seriously he wants out and has decided to do it in what he probably thinks is grand style.

Myself – I’m saddened by the loss of caches I had yet to find, and feel particularly sorry for those part-way through the series who are now left high and dry. Good on you, Muddypuddles, for offering to adopt.

For what it’s worth, there have been some exchanges on this site in the past that I think were unwarranted, and sometimes the tone has been decidedly nasty at times. But I can’t see anything in this thread that Dave has written which deserves such a reaction, and am completely baffled as to where postage costs became relevant!

Oh well, life goes on. There’s others who lay caches and others who find them.

Participant

Like others have said the biggest shame is when quality caches become archived when they are still popular. In fact a cache I had my eye on for sometime ( not on dartmoor ) has just been archived. Look! … GC1782Z
    Baffled!??

Tamerton Chocolates
    Participant

Sorry to see your logs deleted Dave. You did drive & walk all those miles and you were first to finish that series. That is just spiteful.

Keymaster

Thank you TC for your kind comments – I really do appreciate them.

The really annoying thing is that I gave this series continual praise in all my logs, awarded very many favourite points and didn’t make any criticisms at all. The CO wrote in a log above “Congratulations to Dartmoor Dave for being the first to complete the series and in such a short period of time. The way that series was set out has meant that Dave has had to cover many more miles than I did when placing the series. My thanks also to Dave for the detailed and often humorous found logs which I have really enjoyed reading.”

So how did I get rewarded 👿 !

However, I still maintain that this was an excellent series and I thoroughly enjoyed completing it 😛 ! A real shame that others have been denied that privilege!

muddypuddles
    Participant

I just read about the deleted logs issue – it’s a pity to see all that hard work go down the drain (for DD and the CO). I may be wrong but I think that the CO can only delete logs on their caches when they are not archived. Now that the caches have been archived there’s no reason not to just add a quick found log to each one (which is possible on archived caches), and reclaim your legitimate finds. Just a small word of moderation though: perhaps PR is having his own problems with these issues at the moment to which we are not party, and widespread condemnation of his actions here and on Facebook may not be helpful. I don’t personally know PR or his circumstances, it’s just a thought.

Jaughan
    Participant

Oh dear……..

So the series was put out since my last visit and has been removed before I had a chance to enjoy any of them.

Oh dear….

Not the first time I’ve come across a fit of pique like this though.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.