Missing Trackables

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Westwoods 2
    Blocked

Just a thought on Trackables,I can’t get too excited about them personally but I know they give a lot of enjoyment to many and each to his own,however is it just me or are there a lot of missing bugs which are supposed to be in caches but aren’t?

Keymaster

I am moving Westwoods 2’s comment on trackables to here as it was off-topic in The Ore Stone 🙂

Participant

The problem with trackables is that it is a matter of trust as to whether it is logged or just kept because it has a nice toy or other object attached to it.
    Today we found a cache that was meant to have four TB’s in it but only two were there. And on sunday I placed a TB in Nakers Hill- a remote Dartmoor cache and when logging it saw that Somewhere on Dartmoor 1 was meant to be in the cache but i can’t remember seeing it in the cache. I might be wrong and it might be in there but i think its the sort of thing we would have noticed.

Keymaster

Thanks for the info reb10. I will be very unhappy if the SoD 1 TB has gone missing. This is a very remote cache hardly likely to be found by a non-geocacher – I will leave a note on the cache and hope that the next finder will check.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Nakers Hill – A remote Dartmoor cache will shortly be archived, I am hoping to be in the area in the next few days to retrieve the cache container. If the Somewhere on Dartmoor 1 TB is still there I should be able to place it in another cache on the same day.

RockKicker72
    Participant

Is it just me, or is missing trackables a common thing?

I’m beginning to think that people drop them off in a cache and then maybe log it into the wrong one; one I visited yesterday (Log Ness – Cockington) had been found once in the three months since the trackable was dropped there but is missing.

I know the cacher who found it last and he swears it wasn’t there.

I carry a small notebook (Rite in the Rain type thing) to make notes of TBs I pick up and drop off so that I don’t get them wrong.

Aside from that, I was planning to head up to Ryders/Nakers area at the weekend so I hope it’s not archived before then 🙂

Keymaster

There are probably not as many missing as you think. One of the problems is that cache owners can’t be bothered to mark them as missing when clearly they haven’t been in the cache for months. If I notice that a trackable has been missing for several months I always add a comment asking the CO to mark it as missing, then it won’t show up in the cache.

Obviously some do get stolen, but probably not as many as it appears. I normally only place trackables in remote caches as I think they are safer there than urban caches or C&Ds.

NEVER place trackables in National Trust caches as they loan out GPSs to complete beginners who would not know what a trackable is and may treat them as swaps 🙁

Anonymous
    Inactive

Rockkicker72, I will be retrieving the Nakers hill cache this coming Saturday. I am going to archive it before I set out on my walk, but it will be gone before 10am on Saturday.

Participant

PR – are you archiving all your caches?

Participant

What about TB lodges/hotels? The TB lodge we found two weeks ago was meant to have 4 TB’s in it but only had two. These hotels are normally close to roads and so it is easy for bugs to go missing.
    As for the Nakers Hill cache, i hope i was wrong about the SoD1 TB and it is still there. And if the Data TB is not there he was beamed back up to the Enterprise.

Participant

I see the Nakers Hill A Remote dartmoor cache has now been archived and it seems i was right that the somewhere on Dartmoor 1 wasn’t in the cache. Which seems very strange seeing as how only one person found the cache after it was placed in there, then we found it and were certain we didn’t see it.
    A complete mystery!

Keymaster

Mystery solved, the SoD 1 TB has resurfaced. The cachers immediately prior to Reb10 had forgotten to log it.

Participant

I had a feeling that might have been the case, I will have to track it down now and find the cache.

Participant

Does anyone know what it means whem a trackable is grabbed, i found a TB on sunday and received an email today saying that it had been grabbed from me.

Participant

It indicates that whoever grabbed it knew the tracking code. GH.

Keymaster

A trackable is normally “grabbed” because a cacher who finds a trackable in a cache is too impatient to allow it to be properly logged there, so instead of “retrieving” it from the cache he grabs it from the cacher. A very poor practice.

reb10, do you still have the trackable or have you placed it in another cache? If you have still got it you should grab it back and then place it in another cache. If you have already placed it but were a bit slow logging it then there is nothing else to be done.

Participant

Not having a fancy modern interweb phone gadget I am often unable to log a tracker into a cache for several hours, sometimes even a day. Frequently they get grabbed by a following cacher before I have chance to log on. This is not necessarily bad practice as it shows exactly where the tracker actually is. However, the problem becomes that unless the grabber ‘visits’ the tracker into that cache, the mileage total and travel map for that tracker becomes incorrect. I have been known, in instances when trackers I have placed are never actually logged into or visit the cache, to grab it back and ‘replace it’, so to speak, in that cache and then e-mail the person who grabbed the tracker inviting them to re-retrieve it, thus correcting it’s mileage. Bad practice, maybe? GH.

Participant

It all seems a strange practice to me, i still have the trackable but it is no longer listed as being in my possession.
    I have checked the tracking history and it was posted over from the USA to up its mileage. I found it on the 21st and logged it on the same day, then it was discovered twice the same day and then placed in a cache in Ohio.
    Perhaps the Americans do things differently, i really can’t be bothered playing silly games and regrabbing it or what ever i am meant to do. I will place it in a cache on sunday and log that i have placed it.
    If anyone is interested th TB no. is 2P2A43

Keymaster

It hasn’t been placed in a cache but into an event. The cacher who placed it there said “Will help fix some mileage, Discovered this guy at the Potluck event.”

Basically another form of cheating adding nearly 4,000 miles to the cache’s journey. Just what is the point 🙁 If I was you I would email the TB’s owner and say that you have it in the UK and the logs at the event should be deleted. Of course, if you grab it back you add another 4,000 miles!

Keymaster

reb10, just another thought. You can physically place it in a cache on Sunday, but you can’t log it there without grabbing it first. If you just place it in a cache then the next finder will have to unravel what has occurred.

Participant

Yes Dave i might do that or i was thinking of just writing a note in the tracking history saying that i still have it in my possession but in the UK not the US.

Participant

I wasn’t going to bother but the TB is back in my possession, I ‘grabbed it from somewhere else’, i assume by doing this no mileage will be added but will have to wait and see until i place it in a cache and log it.

Keymaster

As soon as you place it in a cache in the UK it will add 4,000 miles unless you ask the owner to delete them.

Participant

I placed the TB in Dartmoor Forest Peat Cot 22A on sunday and 3816.23 miles were added to its journey making a distance of 13787.8 miles. And interestingly someone else logged that they discovered it on the 14th august, how can you discover a TB that is 1000’s of miles away?
    I know this topic is meant to be about missing trackables but maybe this is why some TB’s go missing, maybe some cachers just can’t be bothered playing these games.
    If anyone does want to play you know where the TB is.

Participant

We found the Chinkwell Tor cache on wednesday that was meant to have a TB in it but wasn’t in there. In looking at the logs for the TB it was last placed in a cache in the North West last year, it was then grabbed/found in Clanfield, which is in Hampshire (unless there is another Clanfield). Then it was placed in the Chinkwell Tor cache, but it was probably never actually in the cache but is still logged to the cache.
    This to me proves that grabbing TB’s might be a factor in them going missing.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.