Map and Compass Challenge

Welcome to Dartmoor Geocaching Forums Cache Watch Map and Compass Challenge

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

After an unsuccessful attempt at the Map and Compass Challenge (GC31MQA) i received an email from another cacher who said the cache was missing as they had visited the cache site with someone who had found it and the cache wasn’t there. The cacher in question did not log it as a DNF.
    I emailed the CO asking for confirmation as to whether the cache was still in place but received no reply.
    It has not been found since the end of 2011.
    Has anyone else attempted this and not logged it as a DNF? As i said in my email to the CO we don’t want to try this again until we are sure it is still in place.

Keymaster

I must apologise for not having been able to check this one out, now it has been logged as Needs Maintenance I will do so asap. I note in your log that you say that it is a really good idea for a cache. I agree but I’m afraid we are in a small minority, as only 6 attempts were made at this when it was first placed. It is difficult enough to get cachers to go into the more remote places on the moor, almost impossible to ask them to do it without looking at their gps every few seconds!

I suppose the whole idea of geocaching is to use your gps, and to ask cachers to use only map & compass is depriving them of their prized gadget. Moreover, the reviewers get a bit difficult if you place a cache which can be found WITHOUT using a gps.

If anybody can suggest a form of cache which can ONLY be found using map & compass I would be very interested. But as soon as you give any sort of bearing and distance it can easily be entered into a gps.

Participant

If it wasn’t for the email we would have assumed (as we did originally) that we had done something wrong and would have tried again but the email gave us doubts. The cache might still be there.
    Yes the whole idea of geocaching is to use a gps but anyone venturing onto the moors or other wilderness should be able to use a map and compass, which is why i think it is a good cache.
    But maybe a cache like this is too much hard work for most cachers just to get one cache.
    So perhaps its a numbers thing, if there was a series of caches to be found along a route using just a map and compass i bet there would be more attempts.

Participant

Glad to see this is back up and running again, will attempt it again soon. Lets hope others will attempt it too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.