Good Housekeeping

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Stumbled across this tonight; http://project-gc.com/Profile/findbadlogs/

It shows who’s logged your finds twice. Handy tool, and in the interests of good housekeeping I set about contacting the cachers to warn them and then deleting the duplicate log.

Worked fine for a little while but I obviously over-used the contact form as groundspeak has told me I must wait before I can email more – with three people unwarned… Annoying as they’ll probably be grumpy with me.

Strangely, whilst doing this, I had somebody log one of my caches four times in as many minutes. Not sure what happened there and I can’t contact them as groundspeak thinks I’m a spammer…

Who else does housework like this? I’m thinking I’m probably in the sad minority?

Keymaster

Certainly a minority, but not sad 🙂

I’ve just checked mine and found lots of duplicates on caches I’ve adopted but almost none on caches I’ve placed. I’ve also got no duplicates myself, but lots of own caches logged where I’ve adopted them.

I think most are genuine errors and the four times in as many minutes may have been from a mobile phone.

As we have already seen on this forum there are COs who won’t delete a found log when the cacher admits not having found it, so I doubt if they will be prepared to delete duplicates.

Participant

Think the 4 caches in as many minutes might be down to a problem with grounds peak. When I was logging mine earlier, upon submitting a log, I got a 404 error, but when you look it actually submitted no probs, so they probably just resubmitted as it didnt look like it went through.

Participant

Tri is right – I got in contact with the cacher and they said the site threw an error, and on facebook others also reported problems last night. Guess there’ll be a few more dupes after today!

Participant

Using the method above, I have found that last August someone logged one of my caches twice. The first log read
    ‘Found it watch the nettles, ouch.’
    The second reads
    ‘found my first find off to find the other locals now, taking travel bug to the next one, goodies left. watch out for the evil nettles, ouch.’
    How do I inform the cacher that one log needs to be deleted when they have only two finds in total to their credit? Yes, they’ve only two finds on one cache on their profile! Do you think they are still looking for the other locals?
    And what happened to the TB? Their log on the trackable page dated the same as the cache logs reads
    ‘HORNY THE TRICERATOPS IS ON A TRIP IN THE TRUCK CAB TO A NEW HOME,,,MAYBE AROUND THE ILFRACOMBE AREA THIS AFTERNOON…HE IS LOOKING WELL AND STILL WANTING TO TRAVEL’
    Please excuse their capital letters.
    Clearly a one day wonder. GH.

Keymaster

That’s a very good reason not to leave trackables in C&Ds! I almost always only leave them in caches that are at least fairly remote.

Dare I ask who DanglyHotcakes is 😉 😉 😉 !!!

Participant

Dave. Check out her profile.
    She is not only an anagram but also a very useful cacher. If you remember she retrieved one of your SOD trackers from somewhere it shouldn’t have been!! GH.

Participant

Goldenhaystacks, that sucks! Not so much you’ve got the decision to half somebody’s total finds… But that they’ve taken TB3N64Z and hung onto it since August last year.

DD – I’ve had a complaint by a TB owner that the cache I left it was “too remote” and “unlikely to be found quickly”.

Can’t please ’em all. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.