Douglas Bader Madness!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

I’ve had reason to quote Douglas Bader once before on this web site and I see that Bentorboxer has named a cache in his memory 🙂 I’m amazed at the comments on the cache that say they don’t understand! Bader once said “Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.”

There are now so many rules laid down by Groundspeak that it is becoming very difficult to place interesting caches without falling foul of them. Yes, you can toss a micro (or worse) in a hedgerow and the reviewers will fall over backwards to publish it for you. Place an interesting puzzle cache or challenge cache, for example, and you have to walk through a mine field 🙁

Today I have had received a complaint on my Travel Bug Hotel “the problem is the sentence ‘PLEASE DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN 1 TRACKABLE UNLESS YOU ARE LEAVING SOME’. Sorry, but I need you to remove this sentence because it is against the guidelines to restrict the movement of trackables in this way. Trackables are ‘free spirits’, if someone wants to take all TB’s from a cache and leave none, under the guidelines, that is permissible.”

So there you have it. Now who has been so petty to complain about this? There is a cache towards Plymouth that asks for 2 TBs always to be left, so I guess this breaks the rules as well – but I certainly won’t be complaining.

Why do cachers feel it necessary to make petty complaints against those who take the time and trouble to place caches? Without placers there would be no geocaching and no fortune in profits for Groundspeak! It is about time Groundspeak and the reviewers listened more to the placers and less to the finders.

Participant

Maybe those with questions for reviewers should attend GC4PBFJ. GH.

Brentorboxer
    Participant

Now that would be a waste of time!

Keymaster

I’m not blaming the reviewers, they have little choice but to act when they receive a complaint – but why complain in the first place?

Also I understood that there were guidelines and there were rules. But the reviewers now seem to be strongly enforcing guidelines – as in my case. They should be able to interpret guidelines a little less rigidly than the rules.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.