Déjà Vu Caches

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Before anybody moans at me, this topic is NOT intended as a criticism of SM or H&M, although I am sure they will have a voice on this 🙂 I’m defining a Déjà Vu cache as one that has been placed at exactly the same location as a previously archived one, whether by the same cache owner or not.

I can see the logic of the SM and H&M caches at their homes as it attracts their geocaching friends around once a year for a chat and a cup of tea or coffee, etc. However, some recent déjà vu caches have been cache & dashes placed by the side of the road. For the one I found today I left the GPSr in the car as I remembered exactly where the cache was. Surely there are sufficient hides for a C&D without using the exact location of a previous one?

Where a cache has been archived from a really great location it does make a lot of sense for a new cache owner to place a new cache there as it attracts cachers (new and old) to a really good location. However, several caches were archived and replaced last year in identical locations by the existing cache owner! What is the logic of this, except to swell the number of caches placed and giving the rest of us a chance to increase our finds, but surely the same applies, a new location would be preferable?

Blocked

enlighten me on the caches I have put in the same place except my home one and one at Denham bridge.

I renamed a cache last week from Prawley moor to Boundary of Dartmoor one, so I do not think the case applies that we want to get nimbers up.

Also at Hartor I replaced a cache in a very similar location to another that someone else archived. I replaced it because its a great place to visit.

My opinion on this subject is that if cachers want to put caches in the same place, there’s or otherwise can do, we all play this game in different ways. If you disaggree with people doing this DO NOT go for that cache. EASY!

Keymaster

Sorry SM – where did I mention any other of your caches apart from the one at your home? And I did emphasize that there was no criticism intended of you.

I have already said that where a cache is in a great location it makes sense to place a new one there and I have done this both at Bench Tor and at Foxtor Mire, so I am certainly not criticising your Hartor cache.

What I am questioning is the logic behind replacing a C&D at exactly the same location rather than finding a similar location close by, as you have correctly done at Denham Bridge. I am also questioning why a cache is archived today and a new one placed tomorrow in the same location by the same CO (and I do understand why this is done at home addresses).

I hope that clarifies my original topic.

Blocked

DD said “I am also questioning why a cache is archived today and a new one placed tomorrow in the same location by the same CO”

I do sort of aggree with DD with this but if people get pleasure in doing this let them, there’s no problem really.

If you do not aggree with the above do not go for it the second time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.