CHIRP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What is it with these chirp caches? Maybe I’m on my own here but if you’ve got a gps device with a chirp facility great but if you haven’t then you are basically seriously restricting who can find your cache. I don’t have this facility on my gps or my iPhone.

I personally don’t think these caches should be allowed to be published. It stinks of snobbery and oneupmanship. ” my gps is better than yours” blah blah!

Surely the fundamental concept of geocaching is that it is a fun hobby which should be accessible to all. NOT restricted to certain individuals.

I can accept there are puzzles I will never solve. I can accept there may be caches in caves etc I will never find. But needing a brand new GPS type to find a cache!??

Keymaster

Well, there’s clearly some who like to place and find them and you can always ignore them. The same could also be said of Whereigo caches, but it is interesting to note that Garmin no longer support this feature on their latest GPSs, so you are forced down the phone route if you wish to find them.

Participant

I’ve found two and currently have one out.

Pros: They are genuinely cool and do add another level. As you approach the GZ (or more accurately, first stage in a multi) then if your Garmin GPS has them enabled (and you don’t leave that feature turned on all the time or it uses battery) then the GPS will beep and show “Downloading coordinates” and within a few seconds, will update itself to the next stage or final. They self-power and run for a number of years, and you can hide them so they don’t need to be accessed again (within a rock crevice or inside a moot or wall). Nothing to show and no chance of being muggled.

Cons:
    Not everyone has the ability to use them. You still need a physical final. Not everyone can figure out how to turn on this feature even if their gps is so blessed (I had to give instructions on the cache page)

Arguements: Sorry, don’t agree that there’s no place for them. It’s a cute idea, cute enough for the notoriously Garmin-phobic Groundspeak to adopt them (although you’re not allowed to mention Garmin on the page (sigh) ).

There are a number of caches that aren’t usable by certain people. Yours, Daves and anyone who places a remote cache excludes those unfit or physically unable to reach it. A cache up a tree excludes climbers. All gps’s exclude those without a GPS/smartphone/computer (or ability to read a map). Agoraphobics might not be able to go to an event cache. That’s doesn’t mean they should be banned.

As a CO:
    When I placed mine, I took some good advice from, I think, Forgetful Elephants, and ALSO put coordinates of the final stuck underneath the footpath sign.

I get the odd positive feedback from somebody who’s sought out my very rare chirp cache and sometimes they’ve travelled a fair way specifically to do it. I also get comments saying “Thanks for the printed coords or I wouldn’t have been able to do it, I don’t have that feature”. I also get NM logs from people who insist it isn’t working, and when I get there to check, it is.

Will I place another? No. My curiosity about the technology is satisfied, they cost about a tenner each, and it doesn’t attract significantly more finders or even fave points than a random film pot in the hedge – something I find for most series type caches, they don’t get the finds. Those faves I get are more usually for the final container than the method of getting there. GC3P8FB

Participant

As a note; a quick query of my GSAK database covering Devon, Cornwall, Somerset and Dorset only shows 13 wireless beacon caches in all of that area. Not really something to get that excited about, imo. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.