Cache Washed Down the West Okement!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    birdy
    Participant

I wanted to let someone know that on Saturday I picked up a small container attached to a keyring which seemed to have washed down the West Okement in the recent floods, and was stranded on the bank upriver from Meldon Reservior, among flood debris. The capsule contained a soggy, unreadable bit of paper, which I assumed gave vital details of a mad kayaker.

However, I have now dried it out, and discovered it is a geocache (all new to me!), which had been found from June 2011 up to October 2012. I have no idea where it was supposed to be hidden.

If anyone wants it so it can be returned to its ‘home’, get in touch.

Birdy (new resident in Okehampton).

Keymaster

Hi Birdy – welcome to Dartmoor and to this web site.  Hopefully also welcome to geocaching!

I have taken the liberty of moving your post to a new topic rather than where you placed it.

Does the cache you found have a name somewhere on the container or on the log book.  If so it will be easy to identify.  However, from its location it may well be one of the Meldon Mayhem Series.

Anyway, thank you for retrieving the cache and drying it out, hopefully we will be able to identify its owner.

birdy
    Participant

Hi Dartmoor Dave,

Thanks for your response – and I could get into geocaching now I have found it exists.

There is no name or number on the container.  The 2 halves which unscrew are green and silver, if that is any clue.

The first entry on the log is a FTF dated June 2011, but there doesn’t seem to be an owner’s name or code.

Birdy.

Keymaster

This is what is known as a Bison cache and is very popular with some.

I am guessing that this is one of Wadders caches and I have just sent him an email, so hopefully he will be in touch.

Have you found the main geocaching site: http://www.geocaching.com  If you sign up there you can see all the caches on Dartmoor and you can have many hours of fun finding them all.

Keymaster

Wadders thinks it’s his Vellake corner (Meldon Mayhem series) cache and the description certainly fits the photo.

I will try to find out what he wants you to do with it.  In the meantime, having found it, you can certainly log it as your first find! 🙂

[caption id="attachment_1759" align="alignnone" width="432"] Vellake Corner (Meldon Mayhem Series) Cache[/caption]

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.