Active Dartmoor 2013

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Note I’m not involved with this, just forwarding the word.

From a message on gc.com’s forums, http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=302652

We are working on a project called Active Dartmoor 2013 on behalf of the Dartmoor Partnership, which will be a campaign starting in November and encompassing a week of events and experiences running from 4th May – 11th May next year. Our vision is to make it an amazing showcase of all the interesting, fun and diverse activities and experiences available on and around Dartmoor.

At this early stage we need to forge introductions with event organizers and resource providers from a range of backgrounds for a creative, brainstorming workshop at Brimpts Farm http://www.brimptsfarm.co.uk (directions on website) on Thursday 11th October at 18:00.

Our primary objective is to design five magnificent ‘Dartmoor Specific’ events complimented with a range of Dartmoor experiences which will form the backbone of Active Dartmoor Week. As the project gains momentum, we plan to build a portfolio of smaller events and activities to provide an overview of the diverse range of experiences to be enjoyed on Dartmoor. Ultimately we want all our activity and experience providers to benefit from fantastic exposure whilst simultaneously boosting their revenue making opportunities for the duration of the campaign, and into the future.

• This topic was modified 11 years, 9 months ago by Avatar photodartymoor.
    Keymaster

Thanks for posting this dartymoor.  I’m really surprised to see this on the groundspeak forum as they are normally very much opposed to anyone  advertising commercial ventures.  This is something, as an accommodation provider, that I should be getting involved in but I doubt if this particular activity will bring us any extra visitors.  It probably won’t help geocaching on Dartmoor either, as what we really need is for keen cachers to place good caches, not necessarily just attracting beginners to geocaching (unless they live locally).

Keymaster

I will be attending this meeting at Brimpts Farm later today.  Obviously my main interest is as an accommodation provider and I’m not even sure that geocaching will get a mention.  However, it will be a very good opportunity to meet some land owners (as I think many of the activities will be on private rather than common land) and that may prove very helpful for geocaching.

I will report back after the meeting.

Keymaster

A good meeting tonight with lots of very useful ideas for activities to be included in the Active Dartmoor week. I brought up geocaching as a possible activity and it received good support and might be included as one of the family activities. I’m not certain how this fits in with the Groundspeak policy which normally does not allow geocaching to be used in support of a commercial venture, which clearly Active Dartmoor is. Although there would be no charge for taking part it would be part of the broader goal of promoting Dartmoor as a holiday destination. However, one of the main aims would be to introduce new members to geocaching, and if these activities were run in conjunction with Groundspeak, then the spin off would be that Groundspeak would also benefit by getting new members. Another alternative would be to place geocaches according to the normal rules, but not to publish them until after the end of the week, when the commercial aspect of the geocaches had gone. That way they would then become available to all geocaching.com members to find. However, if somebody has just got enthusiastic about geocaching and found their first caches, they would be very keen to log on to geocaching.com to log their finds!

I would be very interested to hear from anybody who might know of Groundspeak’s view of this sort of venture. No doubt the Dartmoor Partnership, who are organising the week, would be looking for some sort of sponsorship from whoever they became involved with.

Participant

Thanks for the info, interesting.

There has been some negatives towards a short family trail elsewhere in the uk where you had to pay to get into a park area to complete it.

That said, Centreparcs are advertising a geocaching activity at several of their places where you hire a gps and follow their trail. I don’t know the details, but I understand it’s nothing to do with gc.com and doesn’t list the caches there.

We all know you can’t advertise names, even charities, in descriptions, titles etc – but you can put caches where paid parking is the only option thus making them non-free to drivers at least.

Anyway – only way to be sure is to ask groundspeak!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.