What's happened to this site?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

When this site first started I thought great, somewhere to gain information and swap stories about caching on Dartmoor and that is just how it started. It was informative and there was information and stories about Dartmoor caching. So what has gone wrong?

Is it just me or are the new posts just aimed at having a go at others caches and caching practices that do not meet peoples own ideas of how the game should be played?

I believe it should be live and let live, you cant please all of the people all of the time surely it must be time get back to how this site started. Informative and full of chit chat.

What are your thoughts, or do I stand alone with these thoughts. Sorry if any one takes offence to this post, no finger pointing is intended at anyone.

Keymaster

I totally agree with shantz uk and cleverclogs and would love it if the site was used in the way described (and the way I hoped it would be used).  Unfortunately, although the site has lots of registered users and continues to get lots of hits, very few actually want to contribute.  Therefore I occasionally drop in the odd topic which I hope might provoke a bit of discussion.  At least somebody has started a new topic apart from me 🙂

Participant

Fair point, and I’m guilty of it too – although somewhere to moan in a non-specific way isn’t always a bad thing. People are free to respond and a discussion is formed. Opinions are sometimes changed and a point that could be bugging someone for months is, by the process of sharing it, viewed from anothers’ eyes and perspective gained. Your own post here is one example of this, Dave’s post (and probably my response) that prompted it, another. I believe every community should have an opportunity to discuss its problems (without getting too personal, of course!)

It was good of DD to create this site and run it, but the majority of content comes from him. I tried to help out with the walks series, but nobody else wrote in it and I do admit I lost heart and interest after a few.

Dave is a chap who’ll throw the odd conversational hand grenade up in the air to see who catches it, and to be honest if he didn’t this forum would have no content. Every lull is sparked off again by him, but we kinda need more to be self sustaining.

The Facebook groups have a lot more activity (30 odd messages in the devon and cornwall groups tonight), and they’re fine for up to the minute and short discussions, but are lousy for building a body of work and a resource like this has already become.

Geocaching in the southwest is an overwhelmingly positive thing. We have good quality caches, a wide variety and a beautiful place to do it.

On a POSITIVE note, this thread already has three contributors and following on from dartymoor starting a list of all things Dartmoor ‘n’ POSITIVE dont forget that we also have a CACHING BARD who keeps us entertained and amused with poems, Limmericks and so on ………………
    GOLDEN HAYSTACKS TAKE A BOW SIR [:D]

Participant

Thanks, but

Beard  –  Yes,

Bard   –  No,

Bored  – Never ………..  GH.

Participant

I,m afraid i might be slightly guilty.
    But as a cacher and Dartmoor lover i feel that caching practices that damage the moor should be brought to the attention of fellow Dartmoor cachers.  And this site is the perfect way of doing that.

Participant

On the subject of what has happened to this site, why has it become so much harder to write a post.  When I type in the box it goes on and on and if I start a new line the sentences don’t stay together.  Sorry if its just me being thick but i never had this problem before or maybe others are having the same problems and thats why there are so few contributions.

Participant

Actually, yes – I have the same reb10. I ended up writing in notepad and pasting it in!

Keymaster

I know, I’m sorry about the formatting.  This web site uses WordPress which consists of a core product and then tens of thousands (and I really don’t exaggerate) plug ins, which are written by contributors.  The whole lot is free and I pay nothing, except to host the site.  The area for writing replies used to be perfect, but one of the updates (which come frequently) seems to have changed this, and as you say, the box disappears off the screen.  However, if you keep typing it will go back to the left hand margin ok.

Some of you may have noticed that I have been going in and tidying up the line breaks in your posts.  This shouldn’t be necessary and I have no idea why things have changed and I apologise for that.

Participant

Still a great site, thanks.

Participant

As somebody who maintains a small handful of wordpress sites, I can sympathise… Not seen this particular problem, but plugins often do cause unexpected behavior. :/

Keymaster

Dartymoor, if you want to look at this problem for me I would be very grateful 🙂

Participant

Without knowing the plugins used for the forum it’s a bit hard to say – but from this side it looks like it’s conflicting with the theme, or there may be a width setting somewhere in the forum plugin’s settings?

Really hard to guess though. 🙁

Participant

Ah, it’s bbpress – normally a good choice. I’ve installed it on one of my sites to test, and some settings you may want to try: Settings, Forums.

The only thing in its settings that might be worth changing is to toggle Fancy editor

If not, try disabling other plugins one at a time to see if they fix it.  Especially any editing plugins you may have.

Then change to a different theme.

It can take a fair bit of time and faff to sort, unfortunately. 🙁

Keymaster

Thanks Simon, I turned off the Fancy Editor and it’s working ok now. Very strange that it wasn’t tested properly.

Participant

Ah, this is much better! Thanks for fixing it.

Participant

Glad it’s fixed.
    Just goes to show though that if a problem is pointed out it can be fixed.
    The same applies to caching practices that cause harm to the countryside or property, unless someone points it out it will give caching a bad name.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.